Highlighted

Introduce yourself to the community

Posted By: shauna-10x, on Sep 14, 2016 at 1:43 PM

Curious who else is on the 10x Community?  Introduce yourself and see who else shares your areas of expertise or interest.   For your introduction, we are asking 3 simple questions:

• What is your area of research/interest?
  • What makes you excited to do what you do?
  • When I’m not thinking about genomics, I like to ___________________.

After you introduce yourself, check out the Beta Badge Collection Challange and win some 10x swag.

7 Replies

Re: Introduce yourself to the community

Posted By: shauna-10x, on Sep 14, 2016 at 1:44 PM

Hello, I’m Shauna the 10x Community Manager. I’ve been working in NGS for over 9 years and have degrees in molecular biology and microbiology.  Before becoming a community manager, I spent time at the bench in R&D and was also a proud member of great customer support teams.

Helping to develop and support the NGS tools that researchers use to advance science and change the future drives me to be passionate about what I do.

When I’m not thinking about genomics (or the community, for that matter), I like to cook and try new recipes.  I whipped up some homemade baba ganoush for the first time and it was delicious with some pita bread.  My first attempt at ramen; however, wasn’t so successful.  But, that’s part of the fun.

Posted By: scott, on Sep 22, 2016 at 5:59 PM

Hi Everyone,

I'm Scott and I manage the NGS core facility at Monash Univeristy. We're the longest running Illumina service provider in Australia, starting way back in the "Version 1" Genome Analyzer days. My background is molecular microbiology, but we process samples (both collaborativly and as a service) for just about any type of sample from just about any source. 

I like to do what I do becuase of the diversity of projects that we handle (althought that can also be very frustrating, too!), the new technology and equipment to which we have access, the constantly changing research, methods and technologies, as well as developing new methods and applications in conjunction with our customers and collaborators.

When I'm not thinking about genomics, I like to spend time with my children, go inline skating, cook and eat good food, and work in our garden.

Cheers!

Scott.

Posted By: lavinia, on Sep 25, 2016 at 6:43 PM

Hello

My name is Lavinia and I manage the bioinformatics team at the Australian Genome Research Facility (AGRF).  The AGRF has five nodes across Australia, with the largest node in Melbourne (the world's most liveable city!).

We work in genomics and sequence anything that moves (from the gut of an ant to a whale), and provide analysis services for scientists who have run projects with us, or who have data that they need help analysing.

I love the diversity of my work, the team that I work with, the enthuasiasm of the researchers that I collaborate with and the ever evolving challenges.

When I'm not thinking about genomics, I like running and spending time with my husband and young children.

cheers,

Lavinia.

Posted By: JayMoore, on Nov 11, 2016 at 2:00 AM

Hello, my name is Jay, I lead the core bioinformatics group at Earlham Institute, Norwich, UK (formerly The Genome Analysis Centre).

We process samples for a very wide range of research groups across the UK and beyond.  Our work covers all the domains of life, using a range of technology platforms.  My personal interest is in using consensus and blended approaches, to combine multiple bioinformatics tools for tackling a particular analytical problem.

The joy of working for a core facility is to enable such a wide range of research, and to help so many researchers achieve a view on their research problem that they hadn't previously been able to.  It's also a small joy to see jobs being finished on a regular basis!

When I'm not thinking about genomics, I like to go for walks at the coast.  A friend who moved to the coast once told me they never regretted it for a single moment, and now I understand why.